Cal Fasteners News Item
RoHS Product Compliance
Since we added this post years ago, more and more products are taking over with this RoHs comlieant plating. If it is important to you and your drawings or requirements call out for non-RoHs plating, Please alert us to this fact when placing your orders. In like matter, if you need RoHs plated parts we would like to be alerted as well. Eventually, this plating will be the norm in the industry.
Cal-Fasteners, Inc. is well aware of the RoHS -Restriction of Hazardous Substances - EU Directive 2002/95/EC: restriction on the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical or electronic equipment sold or used in the European Union after July 1, 2006. These substances are lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers.
RoHS Product Compliance Categories
The following product categories are impacted under the RoHS Directive:
1. Large household appliances: refrigerators, washers, stoves, air conditioners
2. Small household appliances: vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, coffee makers, irons
3. Computing & communications equipment: computers, printers, copiers, phones
4. Consumer electronics: TVs, DVD players, stereos, video cameras
5. Lighting: lamps, lighting fixtures, light bulbs
6. Power tools: drills, saws, nail guns, sprayers, lathes, trimmers, blowers
7. Toys and sports equipment: videogames, electric trains, treadmills
8. Automatic dispensers: vending machines, ATM machines
The following products are currently exempted from RoHS compliance:
1. Large stationary industrial tools
2. Control and monitoring equipment
3. National security use and military equipment
4. Medical devices
5. Some light bulbs and some batteries
6. Spare parts for electronic equipment in the market before July 1, 2006.
We are in compliance to the RoHS regulations as long as the customer makes the request known at the time of their quote or order.
We have several customers who are not impacted by this regulation and therefore may not wish to pay possible added costs associated with the conformance. Also, we have had several customers tell us they did not want the RoHS compliant parts for fear of inferior plating. Therefore, as a fastener distributor we will stock both compliant and non-compliant parts dependent upon what our customer requests.
We envision having to carry inventory for compliant and non-compliant parts as long as regulations allow some industries to be non-compliant.